darkfaerietales

Dark Faerie Tales

Review: Cake by Lauren Dane

Cake - Lauren Dane

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Strong female character who follows her heart and a hero that is to die for.

Opening Sentence: She heard the music as she ascended the stairs and knew he’d be working.

The Review:

There are not many novellas that I can truly say that I remember after an hour much less days after reading them.  This is a stellar exception.  The story was so well built and consuming that I tumbled into the world and remained there until the final words were read.

Some may wonder about the length of this book and whether it conveys the passion, depth and substance that we get from a full novel and I am pleased to tell you that you will not miss any of these in this supremely well crafted novella.  I don’t even know that I would categorize this as a novella because of how well the story was stitched together and there is a real sense that every word was agonized over and questioned for relevance and only the epic-ness of the story remains.  I think of this as more of a bookette then novella.

So enough of my singing the praises of this book, I’m sure most of you want to know a little bit about our main characters.  Wren Davis is an art student that supplements her income by being a messenger.  Wren acts as a messenger on behalf of Gregori Ivanov’s assistant taking items that require signature and such direct to Gregori’s home and this is how these two meet.

I love that we are given a glimpse of the past in the beginning of the book, but don’t need three chapters of Wren having a meeting with Gregori that isn’t going to result in anything more than frustration on behalf of Wren and the readers.

Now why is Gregori so amazing, let me count the ways.  First, he is an artist with an accent.  Can anybody else say “Heck Yeah!” with me.  Second, in our first meeting we get to see him sans shirt and gaze in the wonder that is this man’s perfection.  Thirdly, he is truly just an interesting individual that has been burned and needs the love of a good woman.  I do believe that is what we call in the romance world “The Male Triple Threat”.

To sum up this book is a great example of what happens when you get amazing authors writing quality work and why Cosmo Red-Hot Reads are currently on my must buy list. Lauren Dane is now an author that I look forward to following more closely in the future.  She is also my new novella or bookette hero.

Notable Scene:

Pale winter sun gleamed against his bare back. Ink trailed along his spine, over lean muscle. Lines of poetry, mainly in Cyrillic, wrapped around his forearms.  Barbed wire marked his ribs, interspersed with more words. When he went shirtless, she’d discovered both his nipples bore silver hoops. He wore fingerless leather gloves, one hand grasping some sort of tool as he prowled around a large metal sculpture he’d been creating for the better part of the past three weeks.

His hair, currently scarlet red, stood up in liberty spikes, but other days he didn’t bother with the full Mohawk effect and he put it in a ponytail to keep it from his eyes. On many it would have looked ridiculous.  But on Gregori? It worked. Like really, really worked.

FTC Advisory: Cosmo Red-Hot Reads/Harlequin provided me with a copy of Cake. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Source: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-cake-lauren-dane.html