darkfaerietales

Dark Faerie Tales

Review: A Little Too Far by LIsa Desrochers

A Little Too Far  - Lisa Desrochers

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A very scandalous and sexy New Adult book with a unique story. It is filled with steamy romance, engaging characters, and true love.

Opening Sentence: MY EX IS a douche.

The Review:

Lexi Banks has done some things in her life that she’s not proud of, but sleeping with her stepbrother Trent would be at the top of that list.  But if being with Trent was so wrong, then why did it feel so right to Lexi?  For the last year Lexi’s love life has been a hot mess.  Her long time boyfriend cheated on her while she was away at school and now she has slept with the one person she could confide in completely.  Ever since their parents got married Trent has been her best friend and confidant.  Sure there was always an underlying attraction between them, but they never acted on it till now.  Can they go back to the way things were and forget it ever happened or will their relationship be changed forever?

Lucky for Lexi she has a year to figure things out.  She is going to school aboard in the beautiful city of Rome.  Upon arriving in Rome Lexi has found that she feels extremely guilty about what happened back home, and she decides that it is time to clear her conscience.  She goes to confession and spills her soul.  But instead of finding comfort she finds a gorgeous Deacon getting ready to become a priest.  As they spend more time together they develop a strong friendship and possibly something more.  Lexi is torn between a man she shouldn’t want and a man that’s off limits.

Lexi is a great protagonist.  It was a little hard for me to connect with Lexi because her moral compass was so skewed, but that made her entertaining and unpredictable.  So even though I couldn’t really relate to her, I still found her an interesting character.  She is funny and clever.  Her dialog was witty and the more I was in her head the more I liked her. It was interesting to see the internal struggle she went through between following her heart and abiding by the social norms. Overall, she was a fun character with an interesting story.

There is a fine line between scandalous and just plain gross.  I felt that Lexi’s love life flirted with that line.  For all intents and purposes, Trent was her brother so the way she felt about him seemed so wrong.  Obliviously they aren’t technically related, but in my head they might as well have been.  As Lexi tries to move on it seems that Trent keeps creeping back into her mind.  She can’t help but think that one time with him was the most unforgettable moment of her life.   Trent really was a great guy; he has been there for Lexi through everything.   They had really hot chemistry and seem to go really well together.  So no matter how many degree’s of wrong it was, I still found myself secretly wanting them to end up together.

Then there is the irresistible Deacon.  Lexi feels safe with him and doesn’t think that anything could ever happen between them.  She is so hurt from losing Trent that she needs to fill that void somehow.  They have a slow connection, but it blossoms into a beautiful friendship.  I loved the stolen moments and the longing looks they would exchange.  I found myself slowing falling in love with this desirable Deacon, with his tortured past and caring heart, it was hard not to love him.  I really enjoyed experiencing his and Lexi’s relationship; it was hot and sweet at the same time.

This was a really good read for me.  I thought that the story was unique and entertaining.  The romance was sexy yet very sweet.  The characters were interesting and well developed. The fact that Lexi goes from one forbidden love interest to another is a little over the top, but that is what makes the story so intriguing. I felt that the end of Lexi’s story was very satisfying.  She ended up with the person she was meant to be with, and I really enjoyed her story.  There is going to be a sequel and I am super excited to read it.  To avoid spoilers I’m not going to say whose story it is, but it was my favorite character in this book so I can’t wait.  I would highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for a fun New Adult novel with fun characters and a sweet love story.

Notable Scene:

THE CHURCH IS very old, with sculptures in every corner and crevice. The only light in the room filters through cut-glass windows that stretch to the high ceiling above. Carved beams held up by immense wooden pillars support the ceiling, and most of the walls are ancient, painted frescoes, some of which are starting to crumble. The art history major in me wants to study them for hours, but that’s not why I’m here.

When I see the carved wooden confessionals at the back, I freeze. Do I really want to do this?

Oh, God.

I dip my shaking fingers into the holy water and cross myself as I move to the back pew. The act of contrition seems like a good place to start, so I kneel and fold my hands in front of me, bowing my head and closing my eyes.

“My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In His name, my God, have mercy. Amen.”

I sit back in the pew, chewing the inside of my cheek, and look up at Jesus on the cross above the altar. Will he forgive me for having sex with my stepbrother? My face scrunches as the feeling of Trent on top of me flashes in my memory. But as much as it mortifies me, sitting here in a church and all, my body reacts without my permission, my pulse rising as an electric tingle races through my groin.

I’m going to hell.

FTC Advisory: HarperCollins provided me with a copy of A Little Too Far. No goody

Source: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-lisa-desrochers.html